9 Questions You Need to Ask While Planning a Second Story Addition
1. Is my foundation strong enough for a second story?
This is absolutely something that needs to be determined before a second story addition can be done. It’s best assessed by an engineer, who can determine if the foundation is strong enough as-is or if it needs to be structurally reinforced to support an additional level.
2. How much value does a second story add to your home?
It’s estimated that a second story addition can add anywhere from $100 to $300 in value per square foot.
3. Do I have to comply with building codes for second story additions plans?
Yes, it’s essential to stay in compliance with building codes, which can vary by location. A reputable contractor will make sure to acquire all of the necessary permits to ensure any addition is up to code.
4. Do I have to do a full second story or can I do a partial second story addition?
A partial second story addition is often perceived to be less expensive compared to a full second story addition, but in reality the cost often isn’t much more. Hence, while it’s certainly possible to have a partial one built, a full second story addition can maximize the value of the project and your home.
5. Can I live in a house while a second story is being added?
For a partial second story addition, there’s a chance you’ll be able to live in the home while the work is being done. However, it’s unlikely that you’ll be able to reside in the home on a full second story addition until that upper level is at least fully enclosed.
6. How much does a second story addition cost?
While cost is contingent on materials and other factors, you can expect to spend anywhere from $100 to $500 per square foot of added space.
7. What are remodeling options for a second story addition?
You have several options when it comes to a second story addition. For instance, you can have it built from scratch. You can also replace the roof and expand an existing upper level. Or you can select a modular second story addition. There are several options – it’s all about finding the right fit for your property.
8. How long do second story additions take?
A partial second story addition can take three to four months, while a full addition can take anywhere from six months to a year.
9. How do I find the right contractor for a second story addition?
Second story addition contractors aren’t all created equal. It’s important to find a reputable, professional contractor that is licensed and insured, and will ensure your project is compliant with local building codes.