Your Ultimate House Remodeling Checklist in 2023
As of 2021, the housing market inventory in Los Angeles has fallen by 38 percent. For many homeowners, remodeling their homes is a more feasible option than finding a new place to buy. If you have chosen to embark on this journey, you probably have a lot of questions about the process. One of the best ways to get your renovation off to an organized start is to create a renovating a house checklist that will act as your roadmap of sorts throughout the process. At Oasis Builders, we offer some of the most trusted home renovation Los Angeles has to offer. We’ve pulled together this comprehensive checklist to guide you through every step of the renovation process and ensure a successful transformation of your home.
1. Think About Your Renovation Priorities
Consider what it is you wish to achieve with your home renovation. This is the foundation upon which your project will be built:
- Which rooms are most important to change?
- What do you wish to achieve with the renovation?
- Are you most concerned with aesthetics, function, or both?
- Do you need more space or simply an upgrade to the existing space?
- Are you concerned about enhancing the monetary value of your home or usage value?
Knowing your priorities will help you make informed decisions at every stage of the renovation.
2. Create a Budget
This initial budget should be more focused on how much you have available to invest and less focused on what things will cost. Pinning down an exact idea of how much money you want to invest will give you a springboard to work from as you start making selections. A well-planned budget ensures that you stay within your financial comfort zone while achieving your renovation goals.
Your Renovation Budget: Breaking Down
Labor Costs: Labor costs typically represent a significant portion of your renovation budget. These costs encompass payments to contractors and laborers who will bring your project to life. While it may be tempting to take on DIY tasks to save on labor expenses, it’s important to note that relying on DIY work is not a sustainable or recommended long-term strategy for a renovation. Here’s why:
Why Not to DIY:
- Quality Assurance: Professional remodeling contractors bring expertise and precision to the job. Their knowledge ensures that the work is done correctly, meeting industry standards and local building codes.
- Safety Matters: Certain tasks, such as electrical or plumbing work, can pose safety risks if not handled by professionals. Your well-being and the safety of your home are paramount.
- Long-Term Investment: A renovation is an investment in your home’s value and functionality. Remodeling professionals provide workmanship that stands the test of time, ensuring your renovation delivers lasting benefits.
- Costly Mistakes: DIY projects can lead to costly mistakes that require professional intervention later on. These repairs can be more expensive than hiring a professional remodeling contractor from the outset.
Cost of Materials: The cost of materials encompasses everything from flooring and fixtures to cabinets and countertops. It’s essential to strike a balance between quality and cost when considering materials:
- Where to Invest:
- High-Traffic Areas: Invest in durable materials for high-traffic areas like kitchens and bathrooms. Quality flooring, countertops, and fixtures here can withstand daily wear and tear, ensuring longevity.
- Long-Term Value: Consider materials that offer long-term value. While they may have a higher upfront cost, they often require less maintenance and replacement, saving you money in the long run.
- Where to Save:
- Less Visible Areas: In areas with less visibility, like utility rooms or closets, you can opt for more budget-friendly materials without compromising functionality.
- Aesthetic Accessories: Decorative accessories and furnishings can often be found at budget-friendly prices, allowing you to save without sacrificing style.
Remember, the key to a successful renovation budget is prioritizing your goals and needs. Allocate your resources where they matter most to achieve your desired outcome. Seek professional advice when necessary, and always plan for contingencies to accommodate unexpected expenses. A well-thought-out budget not only ensures your project’s financial health but also leads to a satisfying and successful renovation experience.
3. Gather Remodeling Ideas
Here’s where the fun part truly begins. With your budget pinned down and your priorities in order, you can start researching ideas you would like to use in your home. You may want to look at our gallery for some inspiration, take a look at certain materials and how they align with your budget, and even browse home improvement and design websites to come up with ideas you like. Gathering remodeling ideas not only fuels your creativity but also ensures that you make choices that align with your vision and budget.
At Oasis Builders, we’re proud to collaborate with renowned trade associates, including West Elm, Pottery Barn, Williams Sonoma Home, Rejuvenation, Build with Ferguson, Tilebar, and Anthropologie. Our trade associates offer a wide range of high-quality products and design inspirations that can elevate your home remodeling project. Whether you’re seeking chic furniture, stylish fixtures, or unique decor items, they provide excellent choices that align perfectly with your vision.
4. Find a Home Renovation Contractor
Perhaps one of the most important items on your list is to find the best possible remodeling contractor to carry out your plans. The best home renovation contractor will:
- Have excellent credentials and reviews from prior customers
- Offer free, transparent price quotes upfront
- Help you find the highest quality materials
- Offer superior communication ethics
- Guide you through home renovation from start to finish
The right remodeling contractor can make all the difference in the success of your project.
5. Prepare for the Work Ahead
Home renovation can involve a bit of prior rearranging and adjustment to your living situation. For example, if you are working with an addition contractor to expand the size of your kitchen, the kitchen you now have will likely need to be cleared to make room for the work ahead. Things to consider include:
- Making alternative arrangements for whatever rooms will not be accessible during renovation
- Moving furniture, household items, decor, etcetera out of the way
- Securing alternative living arrangements if you would prefer to be out of the home
- Planning a way to keep your pets contained
Proper preparation ensures that the house renovation process goes smoothly, minimizing disruptions to your daily life.
Ready to Get Started on Your Home Renovation Project in Los Angeles?
With your renovating a house checklist in tow, we can definitely help you tack down the rest of the details for your home renovation project. Whether you are a Los Angeles homeowner looking for a simple second-story addition or a full-on bathroom remodel, contact Oasis Builders to get started! At Oasis Builders, we’re here to assist you every step of the way, from planning to execution, to transform your vision into a stunning reality. Contact us today to explore how we can make your dream home a reality!