Top 7 Materials for Kitchen Countertops
Looking to replace your kitchen countertops for home improvement? Without question, there’s no shortage of options when it comes to kitchen countertop materials. And, every last option has its positives and negatives when it comes to attributes like durability, maintenance, or even design flexibility.
While there are literally dozens of choices, there are seven top kitchen countertop materials that customers choose more often than not. Check out the top seven kitchen countertop materials you may want to consider for your kitchen remodeling project, as well as the pros and cons of each one.
Quartz countertops are engineered stone. Even though the material usually contains more than 90 percent quartz, the countertop contains quartz particles instead of being a solid slab of rock. The particles are combined with resins or other materials and then engineered into the shape of a slab. Just the same, quartz kitchen countertops have grown to be some of the most preferred out there. Quartz is innovative in its design; built to offer a natural stone look with more resilience and durability than something like granite or marble.
- Practically maintenance-free with no ongoing sealing involved
- Uniform slabs with no imperfections like natural stone
- Engineered build means kitchen countertop can be custom-built for any shape
- Convincing natural appearance with tons of options
- Resilient to acids, heat, and stains
- The finished countertops are extremely heavy
- Costs can be expensive compared to other engineered products (between $50 and $200 per square foot)
Top Manufacturers for Exquisite Quartz Countertops
- Caesarstone: A leading provider of premium quartz surfaces, Caesarstone offers a wide range of beautifully designed countertops known for their durability and exquisite aesthetic appeal.
- Silestone: Known for its innovative and high-quality quartz products, Silestone is a popular choice for homeowners seeking elegant and low-maintenance countertop solutions that exude both style and functionality.
- Cambria: With a focus on creating stunning and sustainable quartz surfaces, Cambria is renowned for its diverse selection of countertop designs that seamlessly blend durability, beauty, and environmental consciousness.
Hands down, if you have the room in your budget to work with and prefer natural stone for your kitchen countertop, granite is one of the most popular ways to go. Granite is the epitome of upscale elegance and can totally make a kitchen look more luxury-level with just this one fixture. Colors can range significantly, and the costs have actually come down a bit since engineered options have grown to be more popular.
- Relatively resilient to heat
- Can be maintenance-free for the most part when treated properly during installation
- Many styles and color options are available
- Durable material that can last for the lifetime of the home with proper care
- This home improvement instantly ups a home’s real estate value
- Most expensive kitchen countertop option (Up to $250 per square foot)
- Granite slabs may have visible imperfections
- Cracks when mishandled or stressed
- Can be porous without the right sealer
Top Local Manufacturers for Premium Granite Countertops in Los Angeles
- MSI Surfaces: Offering an extensive selection of premium granite countertops, MSI Surfaces is known for its diverse range of colors and patterns that cater to various design preferences and interior styles.
- Daltile: Recognized for its superior craftsmanship and exquisite natural stone products, Daltile provides a range of granite countertops known for their durability, elegance, and timeless appeal, adding a touch of sophistication to any kitchen.
- Triton Stone Group: Specializing in top-tier granite countertops, Triton Stone Group is esteemed for its attention to detail and commitment to providing homeowners with luxurious and durable granite surfaces that enhance the visual appeal of any space.
- California Crafted Marble: With a focus on delivering exceptional granite products, California Crafted Marble offers a diverse collection of granite countertops known for their resilience, aesthetic versatility, and enduring char
Marble is a second choice when it comes to natural stone kitchen countertops, and it is easy to see why. This monochrome-toned stone exudes absolute luxury. No two quarried slabs of marble are exactly the same, either, which means in spite of the similar colors, every slab is somewhat different. As gorgeous as marble can be, it can also be less durable and resilient than some other natural stone options.
- Resilient to both water and heat
- Instantly elevates a home’s real estate value
- Beautiful stone with natural veins and hue variances
- One of the more costly kitchen countertop options ($100 per square foot or more)
- Prone to scratching and marring
- Difficult to repair after the damage is sustained
- Stains are common unless the stone is properly sealed
Leading Manufacturers of High-Quality Marble Countertops
- Cumar Marble and Granite: With a focus on exquisite natural stone products, Cumar Marble and Granite is known for its premium marble countertops that exude elegance, sophistication, and timeless beauty, adding a touch of luxury to any kitchen space.
- Pacific Shore Stones: Recognized for its superior marble products, Pacific Shore Stones offers a diverse range of marble countertops known for their stunning veining patterns, durability, and refined aesthetic, creating a luxurious and visually captivating ambiance.
- AG&M – Architectural Granite & Marble: Specializing in premium marble countertops, AG&M is esteemed for its meticulous craftsmanship and commitment to providing homeowners with sophisticated and durable marble surfaces that enhance the overall elegance and charm of their kitchens.
- Marble Unlimited Inc.: With a focus on delivering top-tier marble products, Marble Unlimited Inc. offers an extensive selection of marble countertops known for their timeless appeal, versatility, and superior quality, making them an ideal choice for homeowners seeking both luxury and functionality.
4. Ceramic Tile
Ceramic tile adds geometric flair to the kitchen, is relatively inexpensive, and can be relatively easy to keep clean and maintain. Even though ceramic tile countertops are not as popular as they once were, this material still gets picked over others for a lot of kitchens. One advantage today is the sheer volume of style and color choices available makes it easy to create a completely unique kitchen countertop with tile.
- Highly affordable home improvement in comparison to something like quartz or granite
- Easy to maintain and keep clean
- Stands up well to heat exposure and moisture
- A large array of different tile styles to choose from to go with any design idea
- Tiles can crack or break with direct impact
- Grout between the tiles can stain and potentially be hard to clean
- Not the most value-inducing kitchen countertop option when it comes to home value
Discover the Leading Manufacturers of High-Quality Ceramic Tiles
- Dal-Tile: With a focus on innovative ceramic tile solutions, Dal-Tile offers a wide range of ceramic tile products known for their durability, versatility, and aesthetic appeal, providing homeowners with diverse options to enhance the visual appeal of their spaces.
- Bedrosians Tile & Stone: Recognized for its extensive collection of ceramic tiles, Bedrosians Tile & Stone provides homeowners with a variety of stylish and durable ceramic tile options that add a touch of elegance and sophistication to any room.
- Emser Tile: Specializing in premium ceramic tile products, Emser Tile is esteemed for its commitment to delivering high-quality and beautifully designed ceramic tiles that offer both functionality and aesthetic versatility, allowing homeowners to create stunning and enduring interior spaces.
- Arto Brick & Tile: With a focus on handcrafted ceramic tiles, Arto Brick & Tile offers a range of unique and artisanal ceramic tile options known for their distinctive textures, colors, and designs, providing homeowners with the opportunity to add character and charm to their living spaces.
Solid surface material has been in use for kitchen countertops for about half a century, and their popularity has ebbed and flowed over the years. Just the same, solid-surface countertops from brands like Swanstone and Avonite are a top option for homeowners. One reason solid-surface countertops have retained their popularity is their affordability, but the material is also relatively resilient.
- Available in just about any color or pattern you could desire
- Can be made with an integrated sink for a one-piece unit
- Resilient to stains
- Easier to repair after damage with s bit of sanding
- This kitchen countertop material cannot handle heat from hot pans
- The material is moderately expensive compared to some other mid-tier countertop materials (up to $50 per square foot)
- Not as durable as engineered or natural stone
Top Local Manufacturers of High-Quality Solid Surface Products
- Corian® Design: With a focus on innovative solid surface solutions, Corian® Design offers a wide range of durable and versatile solid surface products known for their seamless designs, vibrant colors, and superior performance, providing homeowners with elegant and functional countertop options.
- Meganite Solid Surface: Recognized for its commitment to quality and craftsmanship, Meganite Solid Surface provides homeowners with a diverse selection of solid surface products known for their durability, stain resistance, and sleek aesthetic, making them an ideal choice for modern and sophisticated interior designs.
- Hanex Solid Surfaces: Specializing in premium solid surface materials, Hanex Solid Surfaces is esteemed for its comprehensive range of solid surface products known for their resilience, hygienic properties, and contemporary designs, offering homeowners a versatile and durable solution for their countertop needs.
- LG Hausys HI-MACS®: With a focus on delivering premium solid surface solutions, LG Hausys HI-MACS® offers an extensive selection of solid surface products known for their seamless integration, elegance, and resistance to stains and scratches, providing homeowners with a practical and visually appealing option for their countertop surfaces.
The laminate kitchen countertop is one of the oldest and most-used low-tier options. This material often comes under brand names like Formica or Wilsonart. The countertop is made by bonding a laminate sheet to an MDF core, which does create a relatively resilient fixture that is highly versatile in terms of design. Also, the countertops can be purchased pre-formed, which is good for DIY home improvement purposes, but can also be fabricated custom according to homeowner specifications.
- Literally, thousands of unique designs are available
- One of the most inexpensive kitchen countertop options
- Relatively easy to maintain
- Material is not resilient; prone to scratches, chips, and even stains
- Seams in the countertop will be visible with larger countertops
- Very difficult to repair without completely replacing the laminate cover
- Often deemed as a low-quality countertop option
Leading Manufacturers of High-Quality Laminate Countertops
- Wilsonart: With a focus on innovative laminate solutions, Wilsonart offers a wide range of durable and visually appealing laminate countertops known for their versatility, affordability, and stylish designs, providing homeowners with an array of options to enhance their interior spaces.
- Formica: Recognized for its commitment to quality and craftsmanship, Formica provides homeowners with a diverse selection of laminate countertops known for their durability, easy maintenance, and extensive range of colors and patterns, making them an ideal choice for various kitchen and bathroom designs.
- Pionite: Specializing in premium laminate materials, Pionite offers a comprehensive range of laminate countertops known for their resilience, aesthetic appeal, and cost-effectiveness, providing homeowners with a practical and durable solution for their countertop needs.
7. Wooden or Butcher Block
Wooden kitchen countertops were once the norm, but today, homeowners looking for a warm, traditional home improvement veer toward wooden or butcher block counters. Wooden countertops can be created from a number of different wood species, but they can also be finished and treated in different ways for more unique outcomes. Oak and maple are two hardwood options most often used for kitchen countertops.
- Extremely durable when properly sealed and taken care of
- Easier to repair with sanding and refinishing
- Provides a nice traditional look for the kitchen
- Fairly easy to maintain and clean
- Can be an expensive kitchen countertop option
- Surface of wood can be prone to scratches, marring, and stains
- Wood is porous and prone to bacteria if not sealed properly
- Higher-maintenance option; needs ongoing resealing to protect the wood
Top Artisans Crafting High-Quality Wooden Block Countertops
- Butcher Block Co.: With a focus on premium wooden block solutions, Butcher Block Co. offers a wide range of durable and visually appealing wooden block countertops known for their natural beauty, warmth, and functionality, providing homeowners with a classic and timeless option for their kitchen surfaces.
- Hardwood Lumber Company: Recognized for its commitment to quality and craftsmanship, Hardwood Lumber Company provides homeowners with a diverse selection of wooden block countertops known for their durability, versatility, and stunning wood grain patterns, making them an ideal choice for creating a rustic and inviting kitchen space.
- John Boos & Co.: With a focus on delivering premium wooden block products, John Boos & Co. offers an extensive selection of wooden block countertops known for their longevity, resistance to cuts and scratches, and natural appeal, allowing homeowners to create a warm and inviting culinary environment.
Ready to discuss kitchen countertop options for your kitchen remodeling project? Be sure to trust the professional insight of the team at Oasis Builders. Reach out to get a conversation started about your ideas of the perfect kitchen and get a free estimate.